Saturday, April 2, 2011

coloured creatures











these are some of the oil paintings from Marion Rose's Western & Wildlife Art portfolio.

Artist Statement
Color surprises, bold texture and generous paint have always drawn collectors to my work, and now the paintings are bigger than ever before. The abstract spirit of every subject is coming through more clearly with spontaneous gestures that involve my whole body. It's like a dance before the canvas, and the surface is coming alive!

This new direction is proving to be influential to my smaller work as well. It's fresher, with more dramatic compositions and a more immediate expression of essence
marion's paintings are super colourful! (i like!!!) she doesnt really stick to the actual colour of the aimals, instead she uses bright and highly pigmented oil paints. brushworks seem very carefree, which is nice (to me) actually, i love her brushwork haha
cause, as some of you know, i cant do the invisible brushwork thing, it kills me. this is due to several reasons but the main reason is probably because i lack patience. so should i use oil, its natural for me to paint like that, like the blue flower painting we did. the only exception was the pop art nanyang painting. i was 'forced' to paint neatly!!!! cause the theme requires neat and precise brushwork. but if given a choice, i'll want to paint in this manner.
but i think i MAY go back to the neat brushwork because such free brush strokes does not suit my current idea, but who knows, new compositions may pop out from my brain and maybe i'll be able to paint like that! (it'll probably take me a shorter time to paint in this way as compared to the neat way)
the colours she used complement each other and it makes the painting more interesting and more lively (i tried the watercolour version on my sec 3 coursework and my owl turned out like a parrot, but i'm happy with the effect~ though i didnt really plan the colours, its sort of, just 'try-try' or 'anyhow-put-the-colours' kind of thing? i dont know if she plans her colours out or what but i doubt so, cause it'll take real hard work and patience to plan it )
to see more of her paintings :
http://marionrose.com/

i've thought of doing my painting like that, but i have more than 1 animals, and if its too colourful, im sure it'll hurt the eyes

on a side note, i find her colours maybe a tad tooooo bright, cause my eyes kinda hurt a little after seeing it for so long -____-

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I am a teacher at Loyalton High School. I would like to post your picture on our website, our mascot is the grizzly bear. Is this okay? I will link back to you.

    http://www.loyalonhighschool.com

    thanks for consideration,
    Barbara Jaquez
    bjaquez@spjusd.org

    ReplyDelete